Business Support

The West Midlands Growth Hubs are working together to support businesses navigating the new rules, and can provide advice on a diverse range of issues.

For support with any questions or issues concerning the impact of EU exit on your business please navigate the resources below, or email and a member of your local Growth Hub will be in touch to help.

Department for International Trade

The Department for International Trade (DIT) provides expert export advice, consultancy support, training, and export documentation, and the international trade team can support with advice on customs declaration services, export opportunities, training, transport and logistics, Rules of Origin, Commodity Codes and much more. A number of West Midlands specialist advisors are available to help businesses who export, import or who are in the process of setting up an export business.

DIT’s new Export Support Service is able to offer support to businesses with questions or concerns regarding EU trade. Telephone: 0300 303 8955 or Ask the export support team a question 

Your Local Chamber of Commerce and Chamber Customs offer training and an advisory service ChamberCustoms

Aerospace Sector

Information on working with the EU in the aerospace sector:

Importing and exporting

Selling your goods

Identify changes affecting manufactured goods, such as new marking requirements or approvals needed, to ensure your business can sell them in the UK and EU.

Trading with the EU


Providing services

Northern Ireland Protocol

Chemical regulations

Aviation and aerospace regulations

From 1st January 2023, the UK will no longer be able to recognise EASA-issued certificates, approvals and licences for the operations and/or maintenance of UK registered aircraft. The CAA is encouraging holders of EASA approvals and personnel licences to begin the process of obtaining their UK equivalents now by applying to the CAA as soon as possible. CAA Website

Service Sector

Information for UK businesses on rules for selling services:

The UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement concluded with the EU, ensures that UK firms in a variety of service sectors can continue to access the EU market, including as business travellers and cross-border services suppliers or investors, while being treated no less favourably than either EU businesses or competitors from third countries.

While the Agreement sets out clear expectations of the treatment and level of access to each Party's domestic market, there will still be some changes for businesses and service suppliers as a result of no longer operating under European Economic Area (EEA) regulation covering cross-border trade in services. These changes are different for each sector and differ in each member state of the EU.

Continue reading to learn about trade regulations, trade reservations, VAT on sales of digital services, establishing and structuring your business, business travel and entry requirements, social security payments for employees, recognition of professional qualifications, data transfer and GDPR.

Transport & Logistics

Guidance for hauliers and commercial drivers who move goods or pick up/drop off trailers between Great Britain and the EU:

Use the link below to find out what documents you need, how to follow new rules to manage traffic heading to ports, and new border control processes.

Visiting the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein

Business travel: extra requirements

As well as the actions all travellers need to take, there are extra actions in you're travelling for business. Business travel includes activities such as:

  • travelling for meetings and conferences
  • providing services (even with a charity)
  • touring for art or music
  • taking goods to sell

Entry requirements

If you're travelling to an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for less than 90 days in a 180-day period, you may be able to do some things without getting a visa or work permit, for example going to a business meeting.

You may need a visa, work permit or other documentation if you're planning to stay for longer than 90 days in a 180-day period, or if you'll be doing any of the following:

  • transferring from the UK branch of a company to a branch in a different country, event for a short period of time
  • carrying out contracts to provide a service to a client in another country, in which your employer has no presence
  • providing services in another country as a self-employed person

Check the entry requirements and rules for the country you're visiting to find out if you need a visa or work permit.

Professional qualifications

Earning money in the EU


Taking goods into the EU

This includes activities such as selling:

- a small number of items, for example t-shirts or other merchandise at a concert

- to a friend or relative

Taking cash into the EU

You'll need to make a declaration if you take £10,000 or more in cash with you.

The way businesses hire from the EU has changed. Businesses need to register as a licensed sponsor to hire the most eligible people from outside the UK.

Freedom of movement between the UK and EU ended on 1st January 2021 and the UK implemented a points-based immigration system. The system has skill, salary, and language requirements that change the way businesses hire from outside the UK. This does not apply to Irish citizens.

The system allows UK employers to sponsor and recruit skilled workers from around the world through a variety of immigration routes. Continue reading to learn more about the points-based immigration system and how to become a sponsor.

Actions businesses need to take regarding data protection and data flows with the EU/EEA.

This guidance is for businesses who:

  • receive and transfer personal data to/from organisations abroad, including the EEA, which includes the EU
  • operate in the EEA

Personal data

Personal data is any information that can be used to identify a living person, including names, delivery details, IP addresses, or HR data such as payroll details. Most organisations use personal data in their daily operations. E.G. a UK company that receives customer information from an EU company, such as names and addresses, to provide goods or services.

Receiving personal data from the EU/EEA and third countries, which have EU adequacy decisions.

The EU has now formally adopted 'adequacy decisions' for the UK. These allow for the ongoing free flow of personal data from the EU/EEA to the UK.

All 12 of the third countries deemed adequate by the EU are maintaining unrestricted personal data flows with the UK. Further information can be found on the ICO's website.

Personal data flows from the UK

There are currently no changes to the way businesses send personal data to the EU/EEA, Gibraltar and other countries deemed adequate by the EU.

International data transfers from the UK to other jurisdictions.

Data protection and the GDPR

The UK's data protection regime is set out in the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018. The Information Commissioner is the UK's independent supervisory authority on data protection. Visit ICO - Data Protection & the EU.

To continue trading with the EU, businesses need to follow new rules for importing and exporting, including full customs controls for businesses from 1st January 2022.

HMRC and the Department for International Trade (DIT) are helping traders and businesses to adapt to these changes, and a range of support is available. DIT's new Export Support Service is able to offer support to businesses with questions or concerns about EU trade. Telephone 0300 303 8955 or Ask the export support team a question.

Changes, which came into force on 1st January 2022, include:

  • Requirement for full customs import declarations for all goods at the time businesses or their courier/freight forwarder bring them into Great Britain, except if they are non-controlled goods imported from Ireland to Great Britain.
  • Customs controls at all ports and other border locations
  • Requirement for a suppliers' declaration proving the origin of goods (either UK or EU) if they are using the zero tariffs agreed in the UK's trade deal with the EU.
  • Commodity codes, which are used to classify goods for customs declarations, are changing.

Register for the free Trader Support Service.

Guidance for import / export businesses

You may need to do extra things before you travel to an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, such as:

  • check your passport
  • get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
  • check you have the right driving documents
  • organise pet travel - contact your vet at least a month before you go

For the latest information for the country you are visiting, check the travel advice

There are more things to do if you're travelling for business, for example:

  • going to work meetings and conferences
  • providing services (even with a charity)
  • touring for art or music
  • taking goods to sell - even if it's a small amount or you're selling to a friend or relative.

There are new requirements for EU citizens looking to live and work in the UK. On 1st January 2021 the UK implemented a points-based immigration system, that prioritises skills and talent over where a person comes from.

Those who were not resident in the UK by 31st December 2020, and who do not have rights under the withdrawal agreement, need to meet specific requirements in order to work or study in the UK from 1st January 2021.

Irish citizen's status continues to be protected as part of the Common Travel Area arrangements. Therefore, Irish citizens do not require permission to come to the UK (except in a very limited number of circumstances), and as a result are not eligible to apply under the new points-based immigration system.

Guidance for those looking to visit, work or study in the UK.

UK's Points Based System